I made sweet and spicy roasted chicken with vegetables the other day. Asian cooking isn’t really one of my strengths, but this dish is very easy to make. And since I am roasting my chicken (a usual foolproof plan *touchwood*) it wasn’t difficult at all. The trick is to get the flavours right and balance the sweetness against the spiciness of the marinade. Yes, tips and tricks picked up from being obsessively addicted to Masterchef Australia. 😀 I made this for lunch and made enough to have some more of this yumminess for dinner. But I will give you guys a recipe for 4 people. Or 3 super hungry ones.
- 8 pieces of chicken breast and/or legs
- 1 Onion – Quartered and then sliced into chunky bite sized pieces
- 350 grams Button Mushrooms – Halved if small and quartered if big
- 1 Bell Pepper – De-seeded and Diced
- 8-10 Tablespoon Dark Soy Sauce
- 4-5 Tablespoon Sweet Chilly Sauce (I used Chings, they normally sell this as a dipping sauce for momos)
- 2 Tablespoon Garlic Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Sesame Seeds – Lightly Dry Toasted
- 1 Green Chilly – Finely Chopped
- 1 Big Lemon – Juiced
- 1/2 Tablespoon Brown Sugar (Optional)
- Salt and Pepper – To Taste
To start off with this recipe, let’s make the marinade for the chicken.
- Mix the dark soya sauce, the chilli sauce, the garlic paste, the chillies, the lemon juice, brown sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl
- Taste this marinade, it needs to be slightly sweet, but once the sweetness disappears, you should get a kick from the chillies and the chilly sauce
- Once the marinade has the right balance, add the sesame seeds and put this on one side
Chicken and Vegetables and the Marinade:
- Take the chicken pieces and make small cuts in the skin (This will help it absorb those beautiful flavours). I kind of went overboard and made at least 8 cuts per piece 😛
- Take the marinade, mix the chicken and the vegetables in a bowl and mix marinade the chicken and the vegetables well
- Let the marinaded chicken and vegetables rest for an hour in the fridge (Or at least 20 minutes, it helps the chicken and the vegetables absorb all that flavour)
- Pre-heat the oven at 175 degrees
- Take a baking tin and put the onions, followed by the chicken and top it up with the peppers
- Cover the tin with aluminium foil, and put it in the oven for 50 minutes
And that’s it. You can go do your thing for 50 minutes. The aromas from your kitchen will tell you when the chicken is done.
If you have enough patience after the 50 minutes, (I didn’t. Not once the smell from the chicken hit me) remove the roasted chicken and the vegetables and put them aside, and reduce all the sauce in the pan to jam pack the flavours some more. It will be totally worth it.
Serve with rice on the side. Ta-Daa. I told you this is simple.
Now, when do you make this:
- Lazy Sunday brunch
- Ambitious Weekday Work-from-home lunch
- Craving Chinese food
- Date Night
- Lunching with the girlfriends
- Healthy, no oil kind of food day
- Taste the marinade, if you don’t balance it out right, it may get too sweet
- Soya sauce has salt, so again, taste before adding more salt
- If you really want to take this to another level, lightly fry the chicken before putting it in the oven. It will help intensify the flavours
- You can add more vegetables, broccoli works well with this dish 😀
And that’s about it. This sweet and spicy roasted chicken with vegetables is an easy dish to cook, and works well for parties since you can prep the marinade and chicken beforehand and put it in the oven just before your guests arrive. Pair with up with some fresh lemonade or mojito and the party has already begun.
Happy Cooking. Let me know this turns out.