Well, to put it simply, rum is AWESOME!
Hehe, now that I have got that off my chest, let’s put together a fun recipe , collaborating one of my favorite drinks – Pina Colada, with a world wide favorite, ice cream! *drool mode on*
First, be warned. This is not my original recipe. I first saw Nigella Lawson make it on TV. That gorgeous woman who makes cooking look like a magnificent task privy to a select few. Yes, that one! Another reason why this recipe is so close to my heart is because it does not require an ice cream machine at home. It is one of those few, no churn ice cream recipes. *we got you guys more excited now, didn’t we?!*
Well, here goes nothing:
Here are the ingredients:
125ml pineapple juice, from a carton
80ml Malibu (white coconut rum)
Few drops coconut flavouring
2 tsp lime juice
100g icing sugar
500ml double cream
75g sweetened dessicated coconut, to serve
PS: Try not to finish half the bottle of rum on the way back home! This ice cream gets the great depth of flavor from the rum! And just in case, this is not a child friendly recipe, it has the alcohol! <3
How to make this awesome thingamajig? Well, read on..
- Pour the pineapple juice, sugar and add the Malibu into a large bowl, and then add a couple of drops of the coconut flavouring and lime juice (We need the lime juice for the added kick and the lovely smell)
- In another bowl, whisk in the cream and keep whisking until you have soft peaks
- Combine the ingredients into a freezer friendly bowl
- Then, taste, taste and then taste some more. Add more coconut flavouring if needed or a squeeze more lime juice (It won’t be as strong when frozen) A little more rum, even!
- Use the back of a spoon to even the surface of the ice cream (Stop eating the mix now!!!! :D)
- Freeze the mixture for a good 6-8 hours, preferably overnight
- When serving, top it up with shredded coconut, and sprinkle some icing sugar on the top if needed. And maybe, a dash more of rum (One always, always, always needs more rum! :D)
- And tadaaa. Sinful, alcohol filled, pina colada ice cream!
Cooking Level: Noob. And maybe a teetotaler too, for obvious reasons!
When to try this recipe out:
- You want Pina Colada, with a twist
- You are craving ice cream
- You have dinner guests over. (People who are allowed alcohol, legally and maybe even illegally )
- Pina Colada
- You are craving summer and you want to go to Hawaii. Or alcohol! Whatever works
P.S. – Don’t finish all the alcohol before the ice cream. It tastes even better post.
And wish all my readers a great week ahead!