Well, we are all guilty of going to KFC for helpings of their infamous fried chicken. However, making it at home is super simple (trust me when I say that! ) and your younger sister will totally polish off about 6 pieces!
I made these for lunch today. Totally yum and quick.
- The last meal before parents were back from their trip (And healthier food happened at home! )
- I wanted to eat fried chicken
- Total broke, can’t afford KFC
- Did I say I wanted fried chicken?!
So, let’s see the ingredients:
6 Boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 3″x3.5″ fillets (This is a rough measurement, don’t break your head over it! An approximate measurement will do )
Garlic Paste – 1 teaspoon
Thyme – 1/2 teaspoon
Jeera Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Oregano – 1/4 teaspoon
Pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
Chilli Flakes – 1/2 teaspoon
Salt – To taste
Egg – 1
Bread – 4 pieces ( To make breadcrumbs for the crunch factor!)
If you are buying breadcrumbs, then use about 7-8 tablespoons, however, the one made at home is fresh.
Oil – 3-4 tablespoons (We are not deep frying anything! ^_^)
Mayonnaise – 1 tablespoon
These make enough for two people. Or one unless you are starved!
1. Mix the chicken, garlic, oregano, thyme, jeera, chilli and salt and keep aside
2. Whisk the egg to make a nice wash for your meat
3. To make breadcrumbs, take your bread and put it in a toaster until it is crisp. If you don’t have a toaster, lightly warm it on a tawa or a pan, constantly turning it to make sure it doesn’t burn, but becomes nice and crispy. Once it is crispy, whizz it in a mixer, to a coarse powdery consistency
4. Mix a little bit of salt in your breadcrumb mix (This is optional. I skipped it)
5. Take each piece of chicken and dip it in the egg wash first and then coat each side in the breadcrumb mixture.
6. Put 2 tablespoons of oil in your pan, and don’t use a high flame for this, use a medium one. Once the oil is hot, place your chicken pieces into the pan
7. After about 5 minutes, turn each piece and put in 1 more tablespoon of oil (Again on medium heat)
8. Keep turning the chicken at regular intervals of 4-5 minutes, on medium to low heat until it is done (This usually takes about 20-25 minutes. To check, cut one piece with a knife, it should not be pink in the middle)
9. Serve with mayonnaise and ketchup (Serve ketchup only if you must, it is too overempowering! ) And chilled beer!
10. Dig in already, what are you waiting for? (Remember, if the sibling gets a whiff of this, you WILL HAVE TO SHARE! And we don’t share our food! )
Cooking Level: A Little Effort. Can handle fire.
When do you make this?
- First, read all of my reasons for making this!
- Not on a diet
- Cheating on your diet
- When you are promising yourself that this is the last time you cheated on your diet
- Chicken. Fried. Chicken. *enough said*
Additional Notes from the Awesome Chef:
Don’t guzzle the beer before you start cooking. Else, you will need at least 3 bottles before your chicken is ready. (Not that it is a bad thing, but alcohol and fire are a big no-no.)
So be safe. And happy munching.