Well, we are all guilty of going to KFC for helpings of their infamous fried chicken. However, making it at home is super simple (trust me when I say that! 😀 ) and your younger sister will totally polish off about 6 pieces! 😛
I made these for lunch today. Totally yum and quick.
- The last meal before parents were back from their trip (And healthier food happened at home! 😛 )
- I wanted to eat fried chicken
- Total broke, can’t afford KFC 😛
- Did I say I wanted fried chicken?! 😀
So, let’s see the ingredients:
6 Boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 3″x3.5″ fillets (This is a rough measurement, don’t break your head over it! An approximate measurement will do 🙂 )
Garlic Paste – 1 teaspoon
Thyme – 1/2 teaspoon
Jeera Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Oregano – 1/4 teaspoon
Pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
Chilli Flakes – 1/2 teaspoon
Salt – To taste
Egg – 1
Bread – 4 pieces ( To make breadcrumbs for the crunch factor!)
If you are buying breadcrumbs, then use about 7-8 tablespoons, however, the one made at home is fresh.
Oil – 3-4 tablespoons (We are not deep frying anything! ^_^)
Mayonnaise – 1 tablespoon
These make enough for two people. Or one unless you are starved! 😛
1. Mix the chicken, garlic, oregano, thyme, jeera, chilli and salt and keep aside
2. Whisk the egg to make a nice wash for your meat
3. To make breadcrumbs, take your bread and put it in a toaster until it is crisp. If you don’t have a toaster, lightly warm it on a tawa or a pan, constantly turning it to make sure it doesn’t burn, but becomes nice and crispy. Once it is crispy, whizz it in a mixer, to a coarse powdery consistency
4. Mix a little bit of salt in your breadcrumb mix (This is optional. I skipped it)
5. Take each piece of chicken and dip it in the egg wash first and then coat each side in the breadcrumb mixture.
6. Put 2 tablespoons of oil in your pan, and don’t use a high flame for this, use a medium one. Once the oil is hot, place your chicken pieces into the pan
7. After about 5 minutes, turn each piece and put in 1 more tablespoon of oil (Again on medium heat)
8. Keep turning the chicken at regular intervals of 4-5 minutes, on medium to low heat until it is done (This usually takes about 20-25 minutes. To check, cut one piece with a knife, it should not be pink in the middle)
9. Serve with mayonnaise and ketchup (Serve ketchup only if you must, it is too overempowering! 🙁 ) And chilled beer! 😉
10. Dig in already, what are you waiting for? (Remember, if the sibling gets a whiff of this, you WILL HAVE TO SHARE! And we don’t share our food! 😀 )
Cooking Level: A Little Effort. Can handle fire.
When do you make this?
- First, read all of my reasons for making this!
- Not on a diet
- Cheating on your diet
- When you are promising yourself that this is the last time you cheated on your diet 😀
- Chicken. Fried. Chicken. *enough said*
Additional Notes from the Awesome Chef:
Don’t guzzle the beer before you start cooking. Else, you will need at least 3 bottles before your chicken is ready. (Not that it is a bad thing, but alcohol and fire are a big no-no.)
So be safe. And happy munching. 🙂